Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In Praise of the Mandolin

 This is only a very slight reprieve in my treatise on  bleach. Oh, I have more to say about it, I'm like a germophobic Charles Dickens over here, but I felt like a change of subject.

Ever since my initial disappointment with the mandolin, which turned out to be the result of operator error (me, I was the operator, and I didn't get how to use the mandolin), I've really come to appreciate it as a kitchen essential. I don't use it very often, but when I do use it, it works so beautifully!

Besides making ridiculous, Martha-inspired carrot ribbons, and slicing onions (or anything else), you can also shred cabbage, which I've been doing a lot of lately. 



Finely shredded cabbage, at its finest! 

It's for these recipes. Yum! Healthy and delicious, and most importantly, easy to make.

But, as I've said before, you have to be careful because you can easily maim yourself with the mandolin. But, you know, nothing in life is 100% safe. Weigh the risk of (minor) digital mutilation against the benefits of ultra-thin vegetable slices and I think it's obvious which way the scales tip.





No comments: