Pages

Friday, December 07, 2012

Purple is a Good Color for You

If you're like me, you're always looking for a good recipe for beets. Right? Are you with me? (Anyone?)

I don't know what it is about beets but, for me, they're like the emblem of healthy eating wrapped up in foodie-ism. Kale, arugula, beets- these are healthy (extremely healthy) foods that require a little foodie know how to give them a wider appeal. I imagine Martha Stewart saying "just toss a few pantry staples together to create these gorgeous and delicious prosciutto-wrapped kale-stuffed beet truffles." Martha would consider prosciutto to be a pantry staple, but I digress.

 If you're eating foods like that, you've got a culinary sophistication to which I aspire. I'm always looking for simplevery simple) and delicious ways to incorporate more veggies. (Don't get me wrong, I strive to be a healthy eater, but, love for veggies notwithstanding, I have a formidable sweet tooth, and given the opportunity I will shovel icing down my gullet. <--- This sentence has so many commas that I'm sure it can't be correct.)

The beet has long eluded me, but I have two recipes that I wanted to share.

Due to the peculiarities of the Texas Winter, we are able to enjoy frozen smoothies in December with winter vegetables. It seems that green smoothies are all the rage these days, but here is the recipe for a purple one: Mixed Berry and Beet Smoothie.


I understand that the beet's purple color is an indication of its fantastic nutritional content. And it really is so pretty. That's part of the draw for me- don't you just love that purple? (But you must be careful because it will stain!) This may be a good way to get your kids (or yourself) to eat more veggies- sneaking them into smoothies. I thought the smoothie was good, not great. But John gulped it down and asked for more. I will definitely try it again.

 The keeper recipe was this Savory Beet Soup. This was excellent. It's easy to make and it would look so beautiful at a holiday meal because of its festive color. Try it! The only reason that I don't make it more often is because it's a little light for a main course. If you had some really good, filling bread, it might work.  I always feel like I should make something to accompany it, but I'm mostly striving for one-pot meals these days. Coordinating main dishes, side dishes, prepping, cooking and cleaning is a little more that I can accomplish in one segment of Thomas the Tank Engine.



No comments: