Pages

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

September Books

Room by Emma Donoghue
This is a really interesting novel. The premise, which is fairly quickly established, is that a woman and her son are being held captive in a one-room shed. That idea gives me chills. It's even more haunting given that similar things have actually happened recently, like Jaycee Dugard. But the book is well-written with incredible (I thought) insight. I knew the setting of the book before I stared it, but was intrigued with the directions the story took- you wouldn't think it could go very many directions when most of the story takes place in one room, but it does! One thing I didn't expect is that it ended up being a commentary on society and, among other things, the voyeuristic nature of our media.

Loving the Little Years by Rachel Jancovic
A tiny book packed with food for thought on being  a mother to little ones from a Christian perspective. One thing she said that has challenged me:

"If there is anything I have learned in the course of my fast and furious mothering journey, it is that there is only one thing in my entire life that must be organized. The kids can be running like a bunch of hooligans through a house that appears to be at the bottom of a toaster, and yet, if organization and order can still be found in my attitude, we are doing well. But if my attitude falters, even in the midst of external order, so does everything else."

There are all sorts of nuggets of wisdom like that. It was honest, well-written and engaging. I would recommend it.

The Art of Fiction by John Gardiner
Notes on writing. I enjoyed this. It was well-written- which I guess is a necessity if you're going to write a book on writing- and informative.

Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
The myth of Psyche and Cupid retold from the perspective of Psyche's sister. The book is divided into two parts. Part 1 is the bulk of the book, part 2 is an addendum. I could not put this down. Part one was riveting. Part 2, I'll be a monkey's uncle if I understood any of it. I'm going to reread part 2, pay closer attention, and then discuss it with my book club friend. I really liked it but don't yet have a great grasp of it's message.


No comments: