Pages

Monday, August 06, 2012

Summer Reading


John and I plugged through our summer reading and faithfully logged our titles with the Houston Public Library. Neither of us have a kindle fire to show for it!  I wrote about my July books last post. For John, I had been going through the Caldecott winners list, but many of those proved to be too advanced for him. Some were long, wordy and dealt with very heavy topics, which is great but, totally over a two-year old's head. However, here are some that we really liked. They were basic enough for John but clever enough for me to enjoy:

My friend Rabbit- Fun. Lots of animals (John loves almost anything with animals.)
The Three Pigs- This one was probably over John's head but it was a clever take on a traditional story and I enjoyed it.
Officer Buckle and Gloria- This is a sweet story about friendship, and I loved the illustrations.
A Sick Day for Amos McGee- So precious, I can't even get over it.

 I switched to the Texas 2x2 list which we've now made it through. Here are our favorites on that list: 

No dogs Allowed- Very cute picture book. Lots of animals.
No Sleep for the Sheep- Great for kids. It has rhymes, animals and animal noises.
The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man- Honestly, I didn't care for this one but John kept asking to read it
Ralph- Short, clever book about a "talking" dog.
The Woods- Cute story about a boy searching in the woods for his lost stuffed bunny so that he can go to sleep.
That's How- Short and imaginative, also has lots of animals.
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site- I wrote about this one on an earlier post. It's adorable.

Several weeks after I'd turned The Woods back into the library, John woke up from his nap uttering some unintelligible words. I eventually realized that he was saying "Dragon! Stomach ache!" And indeed, we had read about a dragon with a stomach ache in The Woods. I was amazed that he'd remembered and recalled that!

I've become enamored with children's literature since I've been reading so much of it lately. The best children's books, even picture books, have most of the elements of good literature but, unlike Charles Dickens  who never met a sentence he didn't add to his final word count, children's books fit it all into just a few words and pages. I've been thoroughly impressed and inspired by many of the stories we've read this summer.

What are your favorite children's books?


Dear sweet, Isla. She's not much for smiling for the camera so I get very few good pictures of her. She does smile a lot, mostly when she's watching John run around in circles which he is frequently wont to do, but rarely for the camera. Here she is mid roll, trying to fit that elephant into her mouth. She's rolling over both ways now. 


He wanted me to take a picture of his finger. Who am I to refuse?

No comments: