Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Moments in Mothering

After John was born I had a few Moments which made it obvious that my mind wasn't in the razor sharp focus that it maintained during my single years (ha). I posted about them then. Like when I forgot to put the coffee in the coffee maker and brewed some brown water (which wasn't going to help with the obvious sleep deprivation).

We had another notable moment shortly after Isla was born that I'd forgotten to write about. This one was more of a Moment in Parenting (as opposed to Mothering) because Peter was involved. One Sunday we left the car door open at chruch. No, not unlocked. Open. The car sat in the parking lot with an open driver's side door from about 10 am to 2 pm. Thankfully no one gave our filthy, hasn't ever been washed that I can remember, year 2000 Ford Explorer with a broken driver's side door a closer look! So it was still there waiting with open doors for us to drive it home. 

I can't recall any other specific instances of brain-addled motherhood from Isla's early days. But there definitely has been some increasing addle-ment with a second child. I find my mind going blank mid sentence, I confuse words (can you hand me the post office?) and I just generally feel more like a chicken sans head sometimes. 

Or this could all be due to the brain scrambling effects of reading Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss multiple times. Have you ever read that book?  I think it's rather fun but beware: if you're on the brink of insanity, I think it could push you over the edge. I frequently have strains of it running through my head. I don't mean to say that I've fallen over the edge. I don't think I have, but I suppose an insane person wouldn't, would she? 

"Fox, socks, Knox, box. Fox in socks; Knox in box; Fox in socks on Knox on box..."

And, just for fun,  take a look at Isla's various and myriad expressions during her shampoo:











It's not easy having hair that looks this good. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Isla has the hair of a future beauty queen!! So cute. Terry