Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Rainy Daze

It has been damp around here! I'm thankful for all the rain, it is an answer to my prayers. We certainly need it to get out of our drought. And it is much preferable to raging wild fires. Even aside from that,  I love rainy days. I love the sound of the rain. I love the darkness. I love the feeling that I'm removed from any obligation to go outside. Don't get me wrong, I also love to go outside when the weather is nice, but a rainy day is an excuse to curl up and read a book all day long in my pajamas.

And that's what I'd be doing if I had no children. Since I do have two little dumplings that I wouldn't trade for all the books in the world, all-day book reading has become the stuff of my wildest dreams. In reality, I've been racking my brain trying to keep us busy with indoor activities. It's been fairly successful. By that I mean that we've been cooped up all day and managed to enjoy ourselves. Incidentally, I am in my pajamas. So, that part of the dream came true!

Here's what kept John entertained today: 

Bean scooping. I'm always amazed at how such simple ideas can be so entertaining. I think later on this would be a good counting activity.



Ice Melting/water pouring. John loves ice. At first I gave him plain ice. Then I got the idea to make colored ice cubes. I thought he might like to "paint" with them. I gave him paper that you can see in the first picture. He quickly dispensed with the paper, though, and preferred to let the ice melt and then pour water back and forth. These days I can't keep very good track of time but I think this kept him busy for at least 45 minutes. 





Baking. I was hesitant to try this because I didn't want a huge mess. I know a lot of other people who let their kids help them in the kitchen so we gave it a shot. I let him dump a few of the measuring cups into the bigger bowl. He was interested in the stirring, and he especially enjoyed picking the chocolate chips and dried cranberries out of the batter to eat them! We made these chocolate peanut butter energy bars.



What are your favorite rainy day activities?

No comments: