Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Summer Reading

The Houston Public Library has a summer reading program for adults and kids ages 0 to 18  years old. All you have to do is read books (or have them read to you if you're in the lower range in the 0-18 category) and log them which will enter you for prize drawings. For adults, the drawing is for a Kindle Fire. I'm not even sure that I would find a Kindle Fire useful but I like getting free things so I signed John and myself up (also, I like to read, so that's another reason). I suppose Isla could even participate since she is definitely older than 0 years (she's nearly 1/6 of a year old, thank you very much!), but John really enjoys reading so I think I'll focus on reading with him this summer. 

I found that I am really unfamiliar with good quality children's literature and didn't know where to look to find good books for John. Recently I found some lists on the library's website that have been helpful in providing a lot of suggestions:


Caldecott Winners
100 Classic Picture Books
Texas 2x2 ( The Texas Library association's list of 20 recommended books for children, age two to grade two.)


Since I've had the pleasure of reading many, many children's books over the last two years, I've been delighted to realize that a good book is a good book no matter your age. That's a good thing too because that means that I can look forward to reading with John as much as he does. I guess that is only true on the upper end of the developmental spectrum. While I enjoy children's books, I'm going to hold off on introducing John to Grapes of Wrath for the time being. He does like grapes, but I have a hunch the symbolism would elude him. 

I checked out several books last week from the lists mentioned above and I was thoroughly impressed. Our favorites so far are: 


A Sick Day for Amos McGee. The 2011 Caldecott winner. This book is so, so precious. 


Goodnight, Goodnight Constructions Site. I don't know why large vehicles have such an attraction for little boys. But they are undeniably exciting. I have to admit that even I am more interested in excavators than I ever thought I would be. This book is really, really cute as well.  


And, speaking of excavators, John has recently added that word to his vocabulary thanks to Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site. It's so cute, recently when he sees construction vehicles he's been saying "excavator... yeah!" 


For my reading, I always have an enormous book list that I'm sure will never be completed in my lifetime, but this summer I'm hoping to make it through a few of the books on Money Saving Mom's list of 7 must read books for work at home moms. 


I'm not necessarily trying to be a work at home mom (I'm happy eating bon bons all day ;o) but a few of the suggestions were about time management. I'm embracing my new type A personality by trying to read up on time management and organization skills- two things that don't come naturally for me. I couldn't find all of them at the public library but I'm hoping to get through these three which were available to check out: 


The Other 8 Hours


Eat That Frog 


168 Hours



And since I wrote my last post I received recommendations for two books, Unbreakable and Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World


These have been on my list for a while! Now that I'm breastfeeding again, I actually have more opportunities to read when John isn't bringing me books that he wants me to read to him. So, I'm going to try to read as much as I can while I have no choice but to sit in one place for 20 minutes every 2 or 3 hours! 

3 comments:

Karen said...

Okay, we are book twins. A Sick Day for Amos McGee was written and illustrated by a husband and wife team (so cute) who were neighbors with our friends in Ann Arbor. They are the sweetest couple! We snagged a signed copy for Baby B and I love it! She keeps a blog and I think they're working on a new book together.

Laura Stiller said...

thanks for the toddler reading suggestions. I've put both of those books on hold for Cannon. Can't wait for some new reading material!

Peter and Leslie said...

Karen,

I love book twins! I agree the husband wife award-winning book team is really cute. I brought up the idea to Peter as something that we should do but he protested that he cannot draw. Oh well! That is so fun that you got a signed copy!

Laura,
Let me know what you think of them. I really loved them both. :o)