Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

It's Never too Early for Jane Austen (Or Charlotte Bronte)


John, it could be said, very literally entered his life amidst the good-natured sarcasm of Elizabeth Bennet and the sensible humility of Elinor Dashwood. This being because I watched a combined 8 hours of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility during and after labor. I'd like to think some of that Austen charm set in and that he'll grow up to embrace Mr. Darcy's gentlemanly ways without being so curmudgeonly.

Only time will tell. However, I was researching classic children's literature in search of some good  books to check out from the library and I stumbled upon these. I can't believe I didn't think of this, but I'm so glad someone did. Author Jennifer Adams has undertaken to make classic literature accessible to children by writing, in board book format, modified versions of Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Alice in Wonderland and Romeo and Juliet! A Jane Austen board book!

Now, I understand, these books are mostly meant to be novelty items appreciated more by adults. I know John would much rather read about freight trains. And Isla, well, Isla's not so into reading yet. But if she were, she'd probably like to read about milk and sleeping. Neither have expressed interest in the passive aggressive class squabbles of 19th century England. Yet. Still, though, a Jane Austen board book!

I really hope the author does all of Jane Austen's books. And more Brontes! I also love the Brontes.

Meanwhile, I'm going to work on toddler adaptation of Crime and Punishment. 

No comments: