Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

17 Months

John is 17 months today. It's hard for me to even think about what kind of things he's doing these days because just picturing him makes me want to take a nap. He's very busy! But he's so sweet and affectionate and smart. I'm grateful Peter puts in the long hours to support John's and my bon bon-eating lifestyle. I'm glad I can be home with him for these fleeting baby years that I'm sure I'll look back on wondering how they passed so quickly.

I think he's started saying a few words. I say "I think" because I don't think anyone else would recognize them as words. But I suppose we don't start out life with the elocution of Shakespearean actors. His vocabulary includes: No, night night, go, uh-oh, and Moe- the name of our neighbors' dog. Apparently Moe is really someone special for John because he says Moe and he doesn't even say Mama or Dada!

"Uh-oh" occasionally provides appropriate commentary to my blunders around the house. When I broke a plate, for example, he declared: "Uh-oh!" He also will sometimes give himself away when he's doing something he's not supposed to be doing by saying "no." I was cleaning this week and moved a lamp to the edge of the table so I could clean underneath it. I told him not to touch it, then I heard him saying "no, no, no." I looked over and he was doing exactly what I had told him not to do!

He's added more signs. He does: More, please, down, thank you, hot, eat, banana, apple, cereal, all done. He might do a few more that I can't recall at the moment.

He loves to read books, often bringing them to me and then plopping in my lap. He has his favorites that we read ad infinitum. And he has some that he just won't sit through. He loves to throw balls and to climb. He also loves firetrucks and construction vehicles; he points them out when we're driving.

He has now started correctly identifying the parts of his face. He also knows toes and belly button- belly button being his favorite body part to point out.

When we're standing in front of a mirror and I say "where's a handsome boy?" he'll point to himself! I taught him that. Perhaps this is breeding an inflated ego? But I'm only teaching him the truth! Here are some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. They were all taken with my phone:

Now this is what I'm talking about! He loves vacuum cleaners and brooms. Here he is with a toy vacuum I bought him. But, soon, very soon, I'm going to transition him to real cleaning tools and then: goodbye housework! Hello free maid service!

Chillaxing in the cart at Target

Banana Monster
He loves bananas. When he sees them at the grocery store, I occasionally get him one if he's being particularly adamant.

2 comments:

Vanessa Rogers said...

I'm sad I'm missing these cute years. Have you taught him to say "nessa is my favorite aunt" yet? :)

Anonymous said...

I agree Vanessa!! I can't wait until he says "that Terry sure is funny!"