Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Poop All Day

John poops all day long. 3,4,5, times. Often it's a very small amount. But when he has these episodes, I'm washing his bottom and giving him "dry time" all day long in an effort to keep the diaper rash at bay. It's more of a nuisance than anything. But, if I could do something to avoid having to change that many dirty diapers, I'd say "bring it on!"

I mentioned this to our pediatrician who did not seem concerned. He asked about John's diet and seemed to think things were okay there. So, at the end of last week a friend of mine mentioned that her daughter was going all day long and that they'd taken her off dairy and that she seemed to improve. So, I tried it with John. This is only day three but there has been a marked decrease in poop. I'm giving him lactaid milk and I've cut out other dairy. But he has better days and worse days regarding BM's so it's too early to tell if no dairy is the solution.

I don't think he has a true lactose intolerance. He's never acted like his stomach is upset, or thrown up. It's just the poop. I'm hoping that this is a phase that he will grow out of. I understand that many children have trouble with whole milk and dairy initially but eventually become able to digest it. But that's my question: if you have kids, or have spent a lot of time with kids, is pooping all day a normal phase for some kids? Does it stop? Has anyone had my experience with cutting out dairy?

We're not thinking about potty training just yet but my mother-in-low pointed out that it would be very difficult to do with John's frequency. I agree! I'm hoping things slow down within the next 9 months to a year- intestines wise, that is!

I'll tell you what, I'm excited about having more kids. I've loved every phase John has been through from newborn sugar lump to never-stops-moving toddler. But I do look forward to the day, if it ever comes again, when the only behind I have to wipe is my own!

No comments: