Pages

Thursday, September 08, 2011

International Literacy Day: August Books

So, apparently today is International Literacy Day. In honor, I'm going to review my August books. Oddly enough, I meant to post about August books a few days ago on National Read A Book Day. I promise I don't make a habit of memorizing all of these National/International Days on the calendar, somehow I just happen to notice them! Anyways, how apropos to discuss books today! Though, literacy is en vogue everyday, no? Here goes:

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear


This was okay, not great. I didn't really get into it. It's a mystery detective series set between WWI and WWII, Maisie Dobbs is the detective. I just didn't find the ending very believable or the mystery super absorbing.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua- Audiobook

This was a book club book and, sadly, I did not get to attend the meeting. I was disappointed because this book certainly sparks discussion. It's a memoir about the superiority of Chinese parenting. The writer is a little over-the-top and, at times, I found her to be downright cruel in her parenting. But I loved this book because she had some very valid criticisms of Western Parenting, I thought. Very interesting perspective!

The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer


I read this in college and remembered really liking it. I read it again last month for my church's book club. I still really liked it, though it was more brain-muddling than I remembered. There was a lot of profound stuff that I'm still mulling over. It's a short read but not necessarily easy or quick!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

One of my Chinese college student friends was recommending the battle hymn book to me. It sounds interesting, and a great discussion book.