Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

June Books

I've rekindled my love for audio books recently. In the past, the only time I've listened to them was on road trips. But now I listen when I go jogging and when I'm doing mindless things around this house like dishes, laundry or cleaning. So I inundated the library with requests and now I have 7 or 8 downloaded to my iPod. Sometimes technology and I get along!

The Hobbit by J.R.R . Tolkein

I listened to this one on audio book. Loved it! When we were driving to SLC the summer we moved there, Peter and I listened to The LOTR trilogy which was read by the same man who reads The Hobbit. He is great! The nuances in his voice blew my mind- more so in LOTR. But he's still great in The Hobbit. I can see why this one is a classic. I hope I can read it with John one day.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I also listened to this one on audio book. This is the first book in the Hunger Games trilogy. This series is hugely popular. Every book club that I know of has read it. I am going through the series for one of my book clubs. There is a movie slated to come out within the next year, I believe. This book was very gripping and I'm looking forward to reading the other two. It is supposed to be a young adult novel. However, I don't really think it's appropriate for young adults because it contains disturbing material. It's very violent and the premise is somewhat Lord of the Flies-ish. Everyone I know who has read this series couldn't put it down. I'd recommend it as long as you know that you're not picking up a fluffy book about kittens and puppies frolicking in a field with butterflies. This one is considerably darker.

The Shaping of a Christian Home by Elisabeth Elliot

Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite Christian writers. Often while reading her books I find myself saying "she's writing what I'm thinking!" This was a memoir of her childhood and particularly how her parents structured their home and imparted their values. I loved reading this and would recommend it.

No comments: