Pages

Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th!

Happy Independence Day, everyone! What a day to reflect on our independence from those pesky Brits. (Though, as I've said before, the downside might be that we also did away with all of their fabulous hats.)

Anyways, we are also celebrating Peter's independence from the tyrannical world of Internal Medicine. Last year he spent his first year of residency, otherwise known as "intern year," in internal medicine. Most specialties require that doctors do one year of general medicine before going on to train in their specialty. This seems to be a perfectly valid idea. The unfortunate part is that scheduling in internal medicine is grueling. Whereas scheduling in ophthalmology is sublime! There are not so many ophthalmological emergencies, you see.

In June Peter finished his intern year in general medicine and July 1st was his first day of ophthalmology residency. Consequently, this Independence Day is the first holiday he's had off in over a year. Unless you count Halloween.

As we speak he is studying, disciplined soul that he is. "Holiday" has a more liberal definition in the medical world. Still, any day that he doesn't have to go into the hospital is nice. We went to the park this morning. And we're going to a barbecue tonight. So, hitting the books for a few hours in the middle of the day isn't bad! He's very excited to embark on this new phase of his training. In only 3 to 5 more years he will be eligible for gainful employment!

We went to the splash fountain at Hermann Park this morning. Then we walked around the lake and through the Japanese garden. We had a lovely time. I only wished we'd arrived a smidge earlier to avoid the hotter heat (as there's no way to avoid the heat altogether).

For what it's worth, I want to mention that I bought John an i play swim diaper. Mine was $8 at HEB. I wanted to try to avoid disposables so I grabbed this one when I saw it. This is the only one I've used so I have nothing to compare it to. But so far I've been really happy with it. Today he took a prodigious bowel movement at the splash park and everything stayed well-contained. Clean up was fairly easy.

This cute little swim outfit was one of his birthday presents. Thanks, Carolyn!

As you can tell, I'm doing my best to ensure that his skin retains its pale hue.

I hope you all have as much fun today as John in the splash park!

1 comment:

Vanessa Rogers said...

I miss our fourth of july celebrations watching Diana play in the orchestra. Those were fun times :)