Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dog Sitting


We recently dog sat (yikes, is that the correct way to say that? Because that doesn't invoke pleasant images.) for some dear friends of ours.


John likes Taffy's beds almost as much as he likes Taffy.

I have to say, I am so happy that I don't have any pets! And I'm sad about that. A little. Peter and I couldn't have pets for the first four years that we were married because we lived in student housing. I always had cats growing up and pined for the day when I could have my very own cat. Then we got two cats; they were very sweet cats. They did shed everywhere and occasionally peed on a pile of towels. But I could deal with that. Then John was born and they started peeing all over the furniture. That I couldn't deal with. So now they live a content, albeit less luxurious, life in my mother's back yard.

I mostly thought of this as a fluke. Eventually I saw us having more cats and possibly a dog. I used to feel sorry for people who didn't want pets, supposing them to lead cold, unhappy little lives. Now, I am one of those people. Yet rather than leading a cold, unhappy life, I see that those non-pet people were probably just busy or, busy or not, they didn't want to pick up dog poop in a bag three times a day or spend their lives in the fruitless battle against pet fur.


Taffy, the dog we kept, is a really good and sweet dog. She's obedient and she's very good with John. But she still needs the attention that living beings require: food, potty breaks, affection. And I found myself begrudging her those things because my time and attention are pulled so many other places over the course of the day! We were happy to keep her for a while. John loved it. But I fear I'm one of those non-pet people now. The kind that prefers clean furniture over a purring cat. The kind that is too concerned about germs to appreciate a dog's kiss. The kind that is too practical to be drawn in by the mind-blowing cuteness of a tiny kitten. This is a little sad to me.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not shedding any tears. One day maybe we'll be a pet family again when we don't have kids in diapers. If not, we can always visit Taffy. In the meantime, I'm happy that I don't have two creatures demanding food and potty breaks first thing in the morning!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I feel the same way! I think most people would not get pets until their kids were much older (and could really help care for them) unless they had them first. I love the pictures of John playing with the dog's stuff!

Abby Fields said...

Hahaha! Super cute picture of John and Taffy looking out of the window, my favorite is the picture of John in the crate though. ;) You and John are welcome to visit any of our dogs anytime. :D