Pages

Monday, June 06, 2011

May Books

I can't believe that it's already June. Is it just me or does time seem to speed up as you get older?

June has brought with it some scorching weather. We have had a few triple digit days already. The weather reports I've been listening to sound like a description of a film noir flick: sultry, hot and steamy. One meteorologist recently commented that it won't cool down for the next few days. And I was thinking "this is June in Texas. It's not going to cool down for another 4 months." But I guess if by "cool down" you mean it will only be 97 degrees instead of 102, then I do hope it does "cool down" soon.

Anyways, in May I started 4 books but only finished one:

In My Father's House by Corrie Ten Boom

I liked this book it. It was an easy read. It is the memoir of Corrie Ten Boom's life prior to WWII. After the Nazi occupation of Holland she was involved in the Dutch resistance and eventually spent time in a concentration camp for her work hiding Jews. She wrote about her experience during WWII in The Hiding Place which is such an incredible book. In My Father's House was about her earlier life. She recounts some experiences that God used to prepare her for what she was later to experience during WWII. It was a pleasant but not spectacular read. But the Hiding Place is spectacular and you should read it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you own these books? If so, I would like to borrow them. Terry

Vanessa Rogers said...

I'm lucky if I finish one book a month! I'm looking forward to when I have time to read again. I miss u.
p.s. I'm still waiting for an email :)

Peter and Leslie said...

Terry,

I do own them and I can send them to you! I'll email you for your address!

Vanessa, I'm sure you're doing a lot of reading. Probably not pleasure reading though!