Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

In Season: Blueberries

On Father's Day of all days Peter graciously accompanied me, his sometimes harebrained wife, out blueberry picking. There's nothing obviously harebrained about this except that our schedules necessitated that we go in the middle of the blistering hot afternoon.

Despite the heat (which really wasn't that bad in the shade) a good time was had by all. John was noticeably absent, being watched by friends. Which greatly contributed to our good time. Don't get me wrong, I almost always prefer to have him with us. But I don't think he would have had the patience to endure over an hour of berry picking in the heat. Maybe next year.

I love picking fruit for several reasons, all of which I've written about before. But here's a recap:

1) It's usually much cheaper. These blueberries were $2/lb. They're usually $3/qt at HEB.
2) It is a reason to get outdoors which is important to us despite the heat.
3) It facilitates good conversation.
4) You can buy in bulk, freeze the berries and use them for months.

I hope that this can be a family tradition of ours. I want John to grow up knowing where food comes from. I want him to see the connections between the way we treat our environment and how that effects the food that we eat, the water that we drink, the air that we breath etc.

We've been having blueberries in smoothies quite a bit. Here are a few recipes that I hope to try soon:


As always, I'll let you know if any are keepers!


1 comment:

Vanessa Rogers said...

I love it!! I can't wait to go berry picking with you when we come back!