Pages

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Google U

Do you suppose there will be a time when we will dispense with formal education in favor of simple Google searches?

Google searches are so much less expensive and much more to the point. And since we know that everything we read on the internet is likely to be true, I see this as a real possibility. I suppose the downside is that students would miss out on things like marching band.

Anyways, yesterday I took a Google U refresher course on childhood illnesses. John turned up with an odd rash and I took to Google to see if I could find a diagnosis. As I reviewed childhood diseases from chicken pox to yeast infections, I was relieved to find that he most likely has a case of the nearly harmless hand-foot-and-mouth disease (picture here). It is a common childhood virus that usually resolves on its own within a week or so.

I was pleased to find that he wasn't suffering from something much worse like nastiness-spewing- from-both-ends-itis or, the dreaded, not-long-for-this-world-virus syndrome. Now, after my research, I feel much more equipped to diagnose childhood diseases! Thanks, Google U!

Luckily, he's a happy, diseased, little fellow:

4 comments:

Erin said...

loving the teeth! don't you think they make your baby look so much more like a kid ;) which of course we know will never happen, they just get to be your older baby ;)

Peter and Leslie said...

Erin,
Yes! I have established with John that he is still my baby even though he is now a big boy! I take his silence (or at least lack of coherent words) to mean that he agrees indefinitely with this arrangement!

Vanessa Rogers said...

I lot of my kids have that. The korean teachers told me it was foot-and mouth disease which can only be contracted by animals. We had to clear it up. I had never heard of foot mouth and hand disease before. Had you? It seems to be very common here. Is it common in the states?

Peter and Leslie said...

Vanessa,

I also had to clarify the difference between hand-foot-mouth and hoof and mouth disease. That is a funny mix up! I think it is common in the states. I had heard about it in nursing school but had forgotten by the time John got it. From what I read it is a common childhood illness.