Pages

Monday, May 09, 2011

April Books

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
April was a big reading month. Thanks in part to my iPod which I bought from my sister. She usually has the updated models and gives me the old ones which are outmoded after days of use. I listened to The Help on the iPod. I would not have been able to read, in the old fashioned sense, this many books in one month.

I loved the Help. I would recommend it. I got it initially to listen to while jogging. But I got absorbed in it and began listening, oh, all the time. I love audio books. They can make the most mundane chores full of intrigue!

Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Diebler Rose
This is a great true story of a missionary in New Guinea who was captured by the Japanese during WWII. She remained for 4 years in a POW camp. The story of her faith and how God provided for her was very edifying. I was particularly impressed by the fact that she had devoted so much time to memorizing scripture before the war. When the hard times came, when she was in solitary confinement, for example, the verses that she had hidden in her heart were life-giving. I would recommend this.

On Becoming Babywise II by Gary Ezzo and Robert Buckman
I keep reading the babywise books even though I tend not to get a ton out of them. So many people seem to love them. I thought maybe this one would have some more of what I was looking for but found lacking in the Toddlerwise one I read in March. I liked this one better. It has some good stuff but overall: Meh.

Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
Technically I finished this one in May but most of it was read in April. It was recommended to me as the best Biblical parenting material out there by a trusted friend whose children at (approximately) 7, 4, 2, and 3 months are more mature than I was when I graduated from college. It is about exactly what the title suggests: getting at the heart of a child rather than controlling behavior. Isn't that always the crux of life- getting at the heart of the matter? I was really encouraged to read this. I would recommend it. It did make me feel that parenting is much more wonderful and much harder than I had anticipated.

A Movable Feast by Earnest Hemingway
This was one of my book club's books. It is Earnest Hemingway's memoir about living as an expat in Paris during the 1920's. There were some enjoyable things about it. But if I were going to read a Hemingway book, I wouldn't read this one. I don't think it's the best example of his writing. Also, from what I read about it, it's not entirely honest. For example, he portrays himself as a starving artist when he apparently had access to a lot of money. Furthermore, it was published posthumously and had been edited by several different people with varying agendas.

No comments: