Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Confession

I really don't keep up with many live British people. I mean, if I had any live British friends, then I would take more of an interest. But my family mostly prefers to stick to long-deceased Britons.

But, I have to confess, I am so excited about the royal wedding. And I have no idea why. Mostly, I really like Kate Middleton. Again, I have no idea why. It's not as if we've ever had a heart to heart. What got my attention initially was her hats. Every time I see a picture of her she is wearing the most fabulous hat. Admittedly, they are ridiculous. If I were wearing this someone would probably call animal control thinking that I'd been ravaged by a flock of rabid partridges. But she totally pulls it off with panache! She exudes class, which is nice to see when America seems to be filled with Paris Hiltons flashing their underwear for attention.

Now, here's a question that I could fathom making the subject of a dissertation if I were to return to school to study history:

When America threw off the shackles of the tyrannical rule of the British Empire did we inadvertently enslave ourselves to dull (that is hatless) fashion? It seems that somewhere in the hot pursuit of our democratic ideals, we gave up the right to wear a bird's nest on our head if we feel like it. And that begs the question: was it worth it? I'm not so sure. I do like to vote but... hmm. The hats are so cute!

Anyways, Kate is a commoner. What would King Henry VIII think?!? Perhaps it's better that he's not around to voice his opinion. But this gives the rest of us a chance at the British throne. Well, not me. I'm already married. But my sister is single and Prince Harry is single. And it now seems possible that my mother's dreams of being British royalty could become a reality. There is a chance! And if my sister has a royal wedding, you better believe I'll be wearing a hat.

No comments: