Pages

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Amore: Luuuuuuuuv Italian Style

Ahhhh. Italiano, it is the language of love, is it not? Don't Italians spend their days cruising around on gondolas passionately singing about their feelings? Isn't it Valentine's Day every day in Italy?

Perhaps not, I've never been to Italy. But they do seem to have the reputation of being lovers over there.

Either way, spaghetti and meatballs: that says love. To Peter anyways. And not just spaghetti and meatballs but all types of food (especially free), as I mentioned in my last post. The way to his heart is through his stomach.

And you know one of the ways to my heart? Through the freezer.

I luuuuuuuv having meals in the freezer. It makes my heart so haaapeeeee. It takes a load off of me because I know if I have "one of those days" I can just defrost something without having to cook. Or if we go out of town and come home to a bare fridge, I have food already prepared. Or if just I go out of town with the wee one, Peter will be able to eat meals that aren't solely from Taco Cabana (or Chick-fil-A).

It's also a good way to love others. I wanted to have meals already prepared to give to people who are going through stressful times, for one reason or another.

Other people have loved our family very well through their willingness to bring us meals. Our church in Salt Lake City brought us food after John was born and our church in Houston did the same thing when we moved back. It was helpful beyond words!

Somewhere around the holidays we depleted our freezer meals. So my goal for February has been to stock back up. My plan is not to run out again but to replace meal by meal. Yesterday I began the process by making three batches of Meatballs and Red Sauce. I've posted this recipe before. It is one of our favorites.

So this type of luuuuuuuuv doesn't just have to be Italian, obviously. You can make French food or Mexican food, Icelandic or Greek. Whatever suits you (not that I know what Icelanders eat)! But if you do make some Italian food you should listen to the Italian-cookin' play list Peter made me:
That's Amore
Mambo Italiano

It's meager but fun. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Who invented the freezer?? I hope that person won the Nobel Prize!

Buon appetito!

2 comments:

Vanessa Rogers said...

Les, how do you freeze your meals? I'm curious? Do you put them in individual containers? P.s. reading your blog makes me miss you so much! Kiss my nephew for me. Make sure he doesn't forget me :)

Peter and Leslie said...

Vanessa,

I feel the same way about reading your blog! I will kiss John for you. He gets about 1,000 kisses per day so there's one from pretty much everyone he knows. :o)

I have frozen food in Tupperware and baking dishes before but that causes the problem of all your dishes being in the freezer. But in the past it has worked for us.

This time, though, I froze the meatballs and red sauce in zip lock freezer bags. I normally don't like disposable plastic bags. But it seemed really practical since I'm going to give a few of the meals away and it's also very space-efficient because they freeze flat.