Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Speaking of Uniqueness

A few posts ago I wrote about my family's quirky holiday habit of discussing King Henry VIII. And that's really only a sliver of a fraction of the quirkiness that is my life. I most definitely wouldn't have it any other way.

A few days after Christmas I went to San Antonio to visit two of my best friends from high school who were in town. This is the three of us with our mothers. Vanessa is on the left, I'm in the middle and Jennifer on the right:


We all became very close in theater during high school. We preformed in probably half a dozen plays together. Which I think might be surprising to people who know me now. I don't think I come across as a flamboyant, dramatic type. But I have been known to deliver a line or two in my day: "Macbeth, Macbeth, Macbeth! Be bloody, bold and resolute; laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth!" My breakout role was playing the ghost of a bloody child in Macbeth. But my personal favorite was when we did A Midsummer Night's Dream. Vanessa and I were fairies. We were decked out in so much glitter that I think I got the last of it washed out of my hair just last week!

And our theatrical side still emerges from time to time. And, like a tempest, it whirls and swirls and often overtakes all others present. Like when we were all opening gifts together a few days after Christmas. We wanted to get a picture of all of us. Now, for most people, this would be simple enough. Not for us! Our photo session required rehearsals!

Kyle, the only male in the pictured, was also part of our theater crowd. He married Vanessa. We wanted a photo of all of us, so Kyle planned to set the timer on the camera. Then we proceeded to rehearse our themed pictures so that we could display our proper faces in quick succession to keep up with the rapid pace of the timed photos. And here are the results:

"More Somber"

"Smiling"

"Shock and Awe"

"Something Smells"

It is so nice to have friends around whom you can be yourself. (And not only that, but they actually like yourself.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, under Shock and Awe, it should be Shock of Jaw, we have the biggest mouths. We look like we are at the dentists. MOM
love the pictures, I need a copy.

Vanessa Rogers said...

I always come back from our visits feeling so lucky to have friends like you guys! Love you!