Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Better than I could say it...

It is the advent season and I have been wanting to write something about what this season means to me but I haven't been inspired to be able to put those thoughts into words. All I seem to have churning around in my mind to write is pointless drivel about Clorox and Charles Dickens. Thankfully there are people who have captured my thoughts better than even I could! I follow the blog of Christine Hoover who I met in college. She was the college pastor's wife. She wrote the posts below which I thought were excellent! Give them a read!

The Perfect Gift

Blue Christmas

The holidays are an unusual time in some ways. To borrow a quote from A Christmas Carol: "it is a time, of all others, when want is keenly felt and abundance rejoices." The contrasts are stark. Compared to the charitable feelings and thankfulness that Christmas time kindles in many, others who are bearing grief during these times struggle deeply. Sorrows being rendered darker in contrast to the bright ambiance of the season. If you are struggling, it's not gifts, hot chocolate, cookies or even family gatherings that will give you ultimate solace. But you can have ultimate solace. There is One who gives it and He was born on the first Christmas over 2,000 years ago.

A friend of ours wrote this poignant poem about a grief that she is enduring and the hope that sustains her.

No comments: