Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Mmmmm, rice cereal

So we had ourselves a milestone today. We fed John some rice cereal. It was a resounding success!

I was not in a hurry to feed him actual food (a concept which is applied loosely when talking about baby food, right? Because I doubt anyone old enough to read this blog would consider rice cereal "actual food.") for two reasons: I want my milk supply to stay plentiful, and it's more inconvenient for me to incorporate baby foods, utensils, and extravagant messes into our meal times. Of course, I would have fed him earlier if I thought he had been hungry earlier. But I don't know if he's ever been hungry in his life (because he has eaten at least every 3 waking hours since he was born...). But he can't nurse exclusively forever and I thought he might be getting hungry at night so we've started down the "real food" path. First stop, rice cereal!

He did so well! By the end of the meal he was opening his mouth ready for another spoonful! Don't get me wrong, probably a quarter (maybe one-third) of it ended up on his face, hands and in the pocket of his bib. Which will probably be the case for all meals until he's about 5 (or is that being optimistic?). But based on this experience I think he will enjoy eating!

N0t sure what we are doing, but ready to go, nonetheless!

A little unsure of first bite.

Catching on quickly.

Having fun!

No comments: