Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What a difference five months makes!

My little baby is five months old today. And how far he has come! A few days ago Peter and I clicked through all 603 pictures we have taken of John since he was born. I can't even see this little helpless sugar lump in him anymore:


Quite honestly when I first laid eyes on him I did not think he was that cute. But he'd had it rough. It took him nearly 30 hours to get through that birth canal. He probably didn't think I looked that great either since I had to endure the same 30 hours of labor:


Here he is hours after birth, swollen face and all:



48 hours later he's looking considerably better and I began to think that I'd given birth to the cutest baby on the planet (if I do say so myself):


Notice his long luxurious hair! It is no more. Now it's more like peach fuzz in the front, party in the back:


Even though he was never really a small baby (8 lbs 10 oz at birth), he was so skinny! I remember being able to feel all of his little ribs and vertebrae:


Sometime around 2-3 months he exploded into rolls upon rolls of soft, squeezable baby flesh. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't even think he had ribs or vertebrae anymore:


He is so happy and smiley and easy going. He is rolling back and forth, grasping toys, putting everything in his mouth and drooling buckets. He is trying to get his legs underneath him when he's on his tummy. Unfortunately this usually results in his face planting into the carpet:


But he'll be up on hands and knees in the next few months, I'm sure. He loves to be in his bouncer or on the floor rolling around. He has started to laugh. Unfortunately, he quickly gets tired of our antics and his reaction progresses quickly from a giggle to a courtesy smile to blank stare. So we're constantly forced into more outrageous faces, voices and gesticulations. He is very much more distracted these days. He will not eat if the cats or Peter are in the room because he cannot tear his eyes off of them. They are way too interesting for him to bother with nursing.

We have moved him into his crib in his room at night. He goes to bed at 7 pm, wakes up once between 2 am-4 am to eat and sleeps again until 6:30 am or 7 am. He usually takes three naps per day and is awake about 2-2.5 hours before he needs another nap. Taking a nap every 2 hours. Doesn't that sound nice? Beyond nice, that's the stuff of my wildest dreams.


It's hard to believe it has only been 5 months! It feels like it has been forever (in a good way)!

No comments: