Pages

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Short-term memory

John and I went to San Antonio last weekend and had a lovely time. John got to meet his Manhattan aunt Jennifer (He also has an Austin aunt Jennifer). And we got to see some friends and fun was had by all. Unfortunately, I left the card reader for our camera at my mother's house so I won't be posting any pictures until I can get it back. Which makes me very sad because I love to post pictures of John!

On the way back to Houston John became fussy. It was time for him to eat so I pulled over into a gas station to feed him. As I picked him up out of his car seat I felt that dreaded wet, squishy feeling on his body that let me know that he had had an Excrement Explosion (jazz hands!)! (Everything seems more fun with jazz hands.) I began to survey the extent of the situation. Let me tell you, it was a doozy. Poop was smeared from his feet to his shoulders, there was a lake of poop in his car seat. I had to basically give him a bath with wet wipes in the front seat of my car. Him screaming and squirming all the while. I couldn't help but laugh. I finally got him and the car relatively clean (very liberal definition of clean), got him fed and back in his car seat. I got back in the car and we were on our way. I looked down and saw that I had a glob of yellow baby poop on the front of my shirt. Motherhood is the best if you like human waste and bodily fluids!

He has gotten into the habit of pooping every other day. And on those days he produces roughly the amount of waste produced by a small army. The diapers are just no match.

John's latest milestone achievement is rolling from back to front. Of course I am beaming with pride every time he does anything but this new skill has added a layer of complication to our lives.

As you may have gathered from last post's photo essay "The Downward Spiral of Tummy Time," he does not like to be on his belly. I used to be able to lay him down on a play mat to bat and grasp at dangling objects and he would stay content for a long time- maybe 20-30 minutes. Now he rolls over, becomes trapped on his belly and quickly becomes mad at the world. At which point he neither wants to be on his tummy or his back, held or put down, walked around or bounced up and down. In short, existence itself seems to tick him off.

The funny thing is that when he finally does calm down and I put him back down the first thing he does is flip back on his tummy! The short term memory seems not to have kicked in yet. It's so cute and pitiful how vulnerable he is. All he can do is flail his little arms and legs and shake his head vehemently. Then I flip him back over and repeat the entire cycle ad nauseam. I can't wait for him to be able to roll from his tummy to his back. Because this new state of things requires much more intervention on my part than the "helpless sugar lump" phase that he has been in. When I had to go console him every five minutes yesterday it took me 8 hours to mop the floor!

But I got that floor mopped, by golly! It was a lesson in perseverance.

1 comment:

Vanessa Rogers said...

Wish we could have been there to visit with you guys!!