Pages

Saturday, August 07, 2010

What's wrong with a little muffin top?

On me it's not too attractive. On John it's adorable. But on muffins, the more the better! I've been baking a lot recently in what we have dubbed my easy bake oven. The oven in this house is very small and it might be 40 years old. I don't know if it's the original from when the house was built in 1968. Some of my baking sheets won't even fit. And it's not like I have industrial sized baking sheets- they're pretty standard. I heard that Julia Child had the same oven for 30 years. If she can make a slew of french delicacies in a 30 year old oven then surely an old, miniature oven will be good enough for me!

Muffin Top

I mentioned in an earlier post that upon discovering some of the health properties of wheat germ that I had some recipes on the docket which called for it. And I promised I'd post about the results if they were gems. Well, the Orange-Cranberry Wheat Germ Muffins are definitely a keeper! They were great. I also made some Blueberry Power Muffins with Almond Streusel- they are pictured at the top. They weren't part of my wheat germ experiment but earlier this summer we picked blueberries and I have a stockpile of frozen ones to use. I liked these as well but they weren't as good as the Orange-Cranberry.

This morning we made multigrain pancakes. Which are also a keeper. Very good and filling. Peter's comment was these "don't taste like they're straight from the earth." By which he meant they don't taste like dirt. He is disposed to think that healthy foods will taste bad. He has slowly come around to realize that's not true but is still sometimes amazed when I bake something that is both whole-grainy and delicious.

Make the Orange Cranberry Muffins. Your taste buds will smile.

No comments: