Pages

Saturday, May 08, 2010

Trials - reasons to rejoice?!

From Peter:

Thursday marked a first for us - we signed papers to purchase our first home! The deal was finalized Friday when the seller signed everything back in Houston. It's not that we have always yearned to own a home, but it is a huge relief to have our housing settled for the duration of our time in Houston (at least 4 years, and only God knows where we will be after I finish residency). I have invested a tremendous amount of time into this process - looking for a home, submitting offers, getting inspections, getting bids on problems found by inspectors, negotiating repairs, etc. etc. etc. It has been trying and frustrating at times. I definitely did not go looking for complexity and difficulties, but they just seemed to come our way. That said, my outlook on these trials is that I would not trade them for the easy road. "That's odd," you say. Well, you have to understand that when the sailing is smooth, I easily get lulled to sleep in a way. I slowly start to subconsciously think that everything is fine and I don't need Jesus' help. This materializes as an apathy in the way that I seek God in prayer and search the Scriptures for wisdom, assurance, truth, peace, God's promises and ultimately God himself. So I must agree with the apostle Paul when he says that

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." (Romans 8:18)

If there is any lasting hope in this world, it is based on God's goodness, mercy and grace. So,

"we rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." (Romans 5:3-5)

Through each trial, I am built stronger by the Holy Spirit to endure in the faith with greater character and fortitude, looking to Jesus as my redeemer, savior, brother, Lord and source of hope. My God has been faithful to guide us and preserve us through this trial, which gives me that much more confidence in him to do the same and more in the future.

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)

It is impossible to have too great, too high, too brilliant, too glorious a view of the creator and God of this universe.

So we don't have to look far for our next trial. I'm thinking it will be the birth of our firstborn child followed by moving across the country, all within 3 weeks. Oh yes, then starting my residency 3 weeks after that. I am scared. Also, I can honestly say that I'm excited about coming to depend on God like never before. I pray that our family will only grow closer together and closer to God in this trying time. We ask anyone reading this to pray the same for us.

We'll post some pictures of the new-to-us townhouse (it's over 40 years old, so I can't really call it "new") soon.

1 comment:

Jim Hamilton said...

Hallelujah!

Jim