Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Someone peed in their pants...

... And it's not the person that you would expect. (Disclosure: this post is probably tmi, especially for the squeamish.)

I wasn't very surprised by very much that happened to me during my labor/delivery/postpartum periods. Having been a labor and delivery nurse I had a pretty decent idea of what to expect. But one of the things that did come as a shock is how little bladder control I had after delivery. (I'm writing this assuming that everyone has this issue but it might just be me...but I hope not). The first time I got up to use the bathroom the urine just flowed right out. (fluids leaking, isn't that the theme of childbirth?) I was peeing and I didn't even realize it and I could definitely not control it. So this was a little surprising. Gradually this problem is clearing up as my battered pelvic muscles recover from pushing out an 8.5+ pounder. So, there's no need to worry about me sitting on your couch if I come over for a visit or anything.

The weekend after John was born, however, I got into a situation where the perfect trifecta of incontinence exacerbating factors caused a little accident. Peter and I had to leave the duplex for a few hours. The owners are trying to sell it and some prospective buyers were coming to have a look. So we walked down to a local coffee shop where we sat for a while and both had a drink. Then we walked home. On the way Peter began to recount how he felt when he saw that we had a baby boy. He was telling me that he was glad that the sex was obvious. He went on to say that he knew that "hermaphrodite problems" were rare, but still he was happy to see that it was obviously a boy. I don't know exactly what I thought was so funny about that phrase "hermaphrodite problems" but I started laughing. I had a full bladder since I'd just had coffee, I had been doing a lot of walking and when I started to laugh that created a perfect storm- literally. Once the laughing started I just could not stop the flow. There I was walking down the street peeing in my pants. Luckily we were just about a block away from the duplex when this happened. I hustled up our block faster than I've walked in about 5 months. Also fortunately there was no one around to see me and my wet drawers. Overall the experience was more funny than embarrassing but I might feel differently if we had walked home and our neighbors had been sitting in the front yard as they often are. I narrowly escaped certain mortification.

I'm 26 years old and I have a lot in common with my 7 day old. For a few days last week we were both wearing diapers. And now we're both peeing in our pants. Maybe I should still be wearing the diapers...

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my, Leslie! Get busy with those Kegels. I would love to hear your birth story if you feel up to sharing it.

While We Wait said...

Oh, friend, I'm with you! That was totally me on a walk in Houston one time after either Jake or Jed's birth--I forget. Anyway, I was soaked and cracking up and not believing it!! I also cannot jump on trampolines now or jog unless I have just emptied my bladder. This is what lies ahead for you when you keep on having babies!!!! :)

kay said...

Congratulations Leslie & Peter!! John looks precious and very healthy!! I am very jealous that Carol is a grandmother, of course I don't want a grandchild living 1/2 way across the world so I will be patient! :))

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I swear I still do that if something is too funny!! Terry

Illz said...

Haha! This was great. I'm currently on an airplane and you had me laughing out loud!! Congrats on baby John!