Pages

Friday, May 07, 2010

Retired!

Today is my last day of work! I could not be happier. Words cannot even capture my jubilation as I enter into my retirement. I plan to spend the remaining years of my life in pure leisure. Going on cruises, reading books, playing golf, lying in the sun, gallivanting around upon white beaches. Is this not what retired people do?

There is the small business of child rearing to be addressed but surely that can't take up too much time, can it?

Seriously though, I do not think I will miss work in the least. I might miss certain things about it like getting a check and possibly having adult interaction regularly (I hear that newborns aren't terribly engaging conversationalists). But overall my job has been a source of major internal conflict for me for the past few years. I have never enjoyed nursing. Yet at the same time I've recognized, especially in this economy, how incredibly lucky I am to be able to have a job. On some level I like my job now, and I especially like the people I work with, but the thought of prepping and recovering patients for eye surgery for even one additional day makes me sort of go insane. Some of my co workers have been doing it for 10 years. I just don't understand how they haven't gone off the deep end.

I'm really looking forward to being able to stay home for a while. And I'm thankful that I have a husband that's willing to work to support me in what is sure to become a glamorous and highflying lifestyle of motherhood. (Babies do enhance the glamor in one's life, right? Because if not I might have to totally rethink this thing...)

2 comments:

While We Wait said...

Well, unfortunately, I believe that yes, as a pregnant woman living in our country right now, legally you could terminate if you so desired. So, technically, yes, there's time to back out. The fact that that statement is true is completely appalling to me. Motherhood is glamorous in the sense of having our greatest heart's joys fulfilled and sensing that we are right in the heart of what God created us for. THAT is glamorous living, though it's not glamorous at all as defined by the world. Praise God with all your hearts for the unbelievable gifts of babies and motherhood!!!!

Vanessa Rogers said...

Can I retire yet? When are we going to have houses side by side living up the life of retirement :) Personally I think you should move to Korea so we can make that dream come true!