Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What the Dog Saw

My inaugural read on my Sony Reader was a book called What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell. I probably would never have chosen it but the book club at my church was reading it. I really liked it and I would recommend it.

It's a collection of articles that Gladwell wrote for the New Yorker. I wasn't impressed by the first couple of them. They were interesting but not absorbing. But the more I read the more the book became almost a page turner. Even though there was no plot, character development etc, that you would find in a novel or story, I really got into his writing. He has a way of "upending conventional wisdom" (from a review I read on Amazon) and making the mundane seem very, very interesting. I also like the way that he uses very disparate topics to illustrate his points. For example, he wrote an article on the problem of how to predict job performance using the NFL and our country's educational system to flesh out his thesis. He talks about criminal profiling using our attitude towards Pit Bulls as an example of how it should not be done. He writes about everything from hair dye to national intelligence, from Ceaser Milan (the dog whisperer) to Enron.

I thought it was a very good read.

Side note: One of the things I love about SLC is that it is a book club city. Almost everyone I know is in a book club. Everyone is always reading. I've never experienced a place where the love of reading exudes from people's pores and wafts around on the breeze. I fit in very well. I will miss it!

No comments: