Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Never leave home without sunblock or a book

That is one of the cardinal rules of my life. You are not likely to find me without those two things. And inevitably when I forget them my day includes a long wait in the sun.

The sunblock is rather easy to tote around. But the book can be trickier. Usually I just carry one- the one that I'm reading. But if I'm close to finishing it then I need to bring another one that I want to start. Only, I don't always know what I want to read next so I might have to bring a few extras so that I have choices. This can become unwieldy.

It is especially tricky when traveling. January/February of 2009 Peter and I spent in Africa doing work at a clinic. We packed super light. We only took what we could carry on our backs. Which, for me, included 5 or 6 books (I think Peter had at least 4 or 5 books as well). I think I had more books than I had pairs of underwear with me.

But now I have something that has radically changed all of this. My dear mother bought me a pocked edition Sony Reader for Christmas. Honestly, when I received it, I didn't know how much I would use it. I'm rather attached to the book in its traditional form- you know, with pages and whatnot. I especially love a good, worn in book from half-priced books. It's as if they each have their own story. I love to think of how many people might have read them.

But I finally bought a book to put on my reader last weekend. And I am converted! It was so convenient to carry it around this past week. I had 5 books at my fingertips at all times! It was so great to use on the elliptical. I didn't have to hold a book open. I could turn the page with one finger. I really didn't expect to like it this much. But I LOVE it!

The only unfortunate part is that you have to buy the books. Usually I just check them out from the library and pay nothing except the occasional $.50 fine for returning them late. You can download a lot of free books that are in the public domain. But if you want to read new books, you're pretty much paying full price. And books are so expensive! I can foresee a large portion of my income going to the Sony Reader store. I'm going to have to be careful not to send us to debtors prison. But, if we do end up in the poor house, we'll have plenty of reading material.

So, if you've thought of buying one of these, I would recommend it! And I should note that I'm not a high-tech person. I still don't even know what an iPad is. (Though, whatever it is, I think it has an unfortunate name reminiscent of a maxi pad.) But the Reader is easy to use for those of us who are technologically challenged.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie- Well, first I have to say that you are indeed finally "showing". Your bump has turned to a veritable roadblock. :-)
I was curious about how you would like your e-reader... I was with your mom when she bought it. Glad to hear you are enjoying it! There are so many great books in the public domain... I've been reading for years from one website (free book store at Mobireader.com) and I haven't put a dent in their collection yet. Take care and greetings to Peter: Don

Peter and Leslie said...

Thanks for that website, Don! I'll have to check it out. I downloaded several free books from gutenberg.org as well.