Pages

Monday, March 01, 2010

Which Crib Set Should I Register For?

We are planning on buying a condo in Houston if we can get a loan in time- which is proving difficult because mortgage companies are requiring two pay stubbs before approval. What happened to the good old days when they would approve man, woman, child, or cat as long as they had a pulse?!? If we waited until Peter had two pay stubbs we wouldn't be able to get a loan until August which would mean we would have to find temporary housing for the summer and move twice in 3 months with a newborn and 2 cats. Which is not my idea of fun. Because I am not a masochist. I also value my sanity and the lives of the people who have to live with me. So, we'll see what happens.

But the idea of having our own place that I can paint and decorate is very exciting to me! My mind is constantly buzzing with ideas and my fingers are regularly scouring Martha Stewart magazines to find fun things to do.

When I saw this picture from this website, I immediately wanted to put the tree and birdhouses in the baby's room.

I love it! It's whimsical imaginative. I have no idea if that is a reasonable goal for a person like me who is not an artist (but who likes to be creative). The lady who designed the room also claims that she is not a painter. So, I thought I might as well try. I also love that particular designer's motto "creativity before consumption." And also that when she does have to buy things she favors garage sales and thrift stores (my fave!). She says she can't have anything too precious because she has 4 animals and 2 kids. I understand that perfectly. In fact, my cats threw up on the sofa last night. Oh the joy of house pets.

Anyways, I digress. I don't know which crib bedding to register for at Target which would work with the "tree and birdhouses" vision. So, I thought I would solicit some opinions. Here is what I've narrowed it down to:

Alphabet
This is probably my favorite. But is it too "boy" since there is so much blue? I think there are enough other colors to make it neutral. And I love all the animals.

Here are two others we really liked:

Giraffe

I just can't choose because they're all so cute!

I also liked this hippo set. But I didn't think it went as well with the tree and birdhouses. Though, if I'm going for whimsical, I don't know that you can get much more so than hippos and birdhouses.
I'm fully aware that my child might never get that tree painted on his/her wall. Because by the time we get to Houston I might just decide to spend the next four years recovering from the move. In which case white walls would have to do. But I hope not! It will be a lot of work to get the house in order with a newborn but my motto is going to be "If that ice dancer can compete in the Olympics 4 months after having a baby than I can....(insert whatever challenge is before me)!"

7 comments:

Robin and Don said...

Just a thought, if you go with the tree theme room, I would have to place a vote for the birds. It just fits the room better. I don't know what the big deal really is but I see a ton of my friends with babies into the owl. I think Gap is doing an owl children's line or something. Anyway, owls are a big hit right now, I guess, in baby land so maybe the bird thing. You could be part of the trend, but "branching out" (did you like my play on words?) in your own way. They were all cute though and you can't go wrong either way.

Jenni said...

I love the birds!!! :)

Rachel said...

I agree, if you are doing trees and birdhouses, you can't go wrong with the birds. They are so cute! I can see why you like the alphabet one, too.

Congrats on the 30 week mark!

Anonymous said...

I like the ABC one but then I am a teacher and always thinking of things that might encourage literacy. I doubt the baby will have trouble with literacy with you and Peter in their life.

J-Gro said...

I like the ABC one! So cute :)

PS - I think you're totally capable of creating the tree painting.

J-Gro said...

oh never mind, it didn't. It just didn't get approved yet. haha

you don't have to approve these last two comments... :)

J-Gro said...

I don't know why my comment showed up as "anonymous." weird. This is Jen Grojean :)