Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Deep Thoughts by Leslie

It seems that 3D is the new 2D in the film industry. That seems to be the way the new blockbusters are going anyways. I'm just curious, why are 3D movies not considered 4D movies? If the 3 dimensions are represented by the X,Y and Z axes (like in one of those ridiculous graphs I had to fruitlessly grapple with in high school calculus) and the 4th dimension is time then don't "3D" movies encompass all 4 dimensions? Or perhaps my entire understanding of the nature of the universe is flawed.

You might think that a post like this indicates that I have too much time on my hands. Au contraire! I actually have too little time on my hands to do everything I feel like I need to do before baby's birthday.(32 weeks this weekend! Time is closing in on me!). And sometimes at the end of a particularly tiring day my mind is sufficiently dulled that only the most trifling thoughts find a ledge on which to dwell. Everything more substantial sinks into the mire of my spent brain cells and drains out my ears.

And on that note, I'm going to take a nap!

Have a lovely Sunday!

2 comments:

Jim and Jill said...

You are a funny girl indeed, Leslie Ness. I cherish all your crazy thoughts! ~Jill

Daniele said...

You're right that 4D would include time, but it would mean that you are also moving along with the movie in order to experience 4D rather than just 3D. For example, like if they had moving seats, wind effects, smells, or mist that would sync up with the onscreen action.

Some of the rides at Disney World (like Mickey's Philharmagic or Toy Story) are a 4D rides because they actually make you apart of the action rather than just a bystander watching the action.
Does that make sense?? :)