Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Burgeoning


Before I became pregnant, I assumed that the process was a half and half proposition. Meaning, at 20 weeks I and the baby would be half as big as we would become by 40 weeks. This line of thinking turned out to be completely wrong.

At 20 weeks no one could tell that I was pregnant. Now, at 24-26 weeks (I'm including a range since the US revealed a 10 day discrepancy from my dates), I feel like I've grown more in the last month than I did in the first 20 weeks. I still don't think I'm too big. (Though Friday at work someone did mention that I was showing "big time" which was an unfortunate choice of words, I thought.) But I am indeed starting to show.

On one hand, it's nice to look obviously pregnant- It makes everything more real. On the other hand, I'm trying to savor still being a relatively normal size. I know there will come a time when I feel like a beached whale and when strangers will probably start asking if I'm having twins. (Note: This is never a question you should ask a pregnant woman, in my humble opinion. On the contrary you should comment instead on how well she looks and that you can't believe that she's 8.5 months along because she still looks so svelte! There's no need to label this as "lying." Because she probably does look svelte compared to Kate Gosslin carrying octuplets. Think of it that way!)

The baby's growth is even more incredible to me. It took him/her 5 months to get to 1 pound. And it will only take about 5 more to gain 6 pounds! Crazy!

I've been feeling the baby move a lot more now. And in more places. At first I only felt movement on my right side but now occasionally I feel it higher in my abdomen and on my left. At night the baby is more active. Sometimes when we're on our way to bed, I'll pull up my shirt and Peter can see my belly popping out where the movement is. He has felt the baby move also which is very fun for us! Part of me can't wait till May, part of me thinks I need about 10 more years to prepare and the other part of me still doesn't believe I'm pregnant (There is a person inside my abdomen?!?!)! How's that for some cognitive dissonance!?

3 comments:

Jim and Jill said...

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe a girl is in there! :) You seem to be carrying higher rather than lower. Any other folks taking guesses yet? :)

Peter and Leslie said...

Jill,

Most people are guessing boy. I don't know how much of that is because I keep telling people that I think its a boy. But a few women at work said they thought I looked like I was carrying the way they did with their boys... we'll see!

Erin said...

Leslie - You are so not big! Just an adorable little belly! Are you in maternity yet?