Pages

Saturday, January 09, 2010

11 Onions before 12 PM

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! I can't believe it's 2010. Time goes by so fast. It seems like just yesterday I was graduating high school. And that was almost 10 years ago! And this should be a year I will not soon forget! (If you don't know why then you should go back and read a few posts from October. ;o)

Anyways, I've been away for a while because we've been keeping ourselves pretty busy. And this weekend is perhaps the busiest of my life. At least in terms of the amount of cooking and cleaning I'm going to do.

During the cold months of the year our church has what they call "Soup's On." Every Sunday one person or family brings soup for the entire congregation and we all eat together after the service. It's not a very big congregation and not everyone will always stay for lunch so this is perhaps not as daunting as you might initially think. However it's still a lot of work. Each week the assigned family brings soup for about 60 people. Peter and I signed up for this weekend and we (I, for now, because Peter is skiing. But he will be back to lend a hand.) are in the process of whipping up some Minestrone with White Beans and Italian Sausage and some Creamy Tomato-Balsamic soup. Thus, I have chopped 11 onions before 12 PM today! That's hopefully the most onions I will ever chop in one day for the rest of my life!

If you are in the mood for soup, I highly recommend the Minestrone. We made it several weeks ago and were very impressed. It has such a good flavor!

We are also in the midst of a rather ardent and overdue cleaning blitz necessitated by the fact that we will have some guests over this week and Peter's brother is coming in for a visit on Friday. Our room and our second bedroom have become a convenient receptacle for all manner of household crap. We've made a rule not to have any clutter or belongings in the living room or kitchen since these are the rooms guests are often in. We're really good at that. But unfortunately a lot of the clutter simply gets piled away in the bed rooms which currently resemble New Orleans post Katrina (minus the water).

Next weekend should be more relaxing for me. Peter and his brother plan to start off with a little skiing. Get some more skiing in over the weekend. And then finish up with some time on the slopes. So I plan to sit at home drinking hot chocolate, petting my cats and reading books about breastfeeding. Cats, hot chocolate and books, those are three of my favorite things! How lovely it will be!... if I can just get past this soup. :o)

1 comment:

Erin said...

I hope the onions were not too strong - I cut one up last week and was crying!