Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sugared Cranberries

I made these sugared cranberries for a work party on Thursday. I also gave them out for a gift exchange that we had. They are really good and everyone seemed to like them. A lot of people asked for recipes.

They can't be considered healthy because of the amount of sugar involved. But I think they are a healthier alternative to the traditional Christmas fare of chocolate, cookies, toffee, cake etc. And they look so pretty!

If you don't like cranberries, you still may like these. Soaking in sugar water for 8 hours then being rolled in more sugar can really do a lot for a sour little fruit.

If you make these, my 2 pieces of advice are to 1) not even let the water simmer. I did let it get to simmer and some of the berries popped. So the next time I just let the water get warm enough where there were small bubbles forming on the sides of the pan. 2) When you coat them with sugar, start out with less sugar then add more as needed. Some of batches got coated almost solid white. I think they're a lot prettier when you can still see the red. They look like shimmering jewels.

1 comment:

Erin said...

wow those look amazing - going to have to try it - our grocery store had a major sale on cranberries after Thanksgiving - I bought tons without a plan for them...