Pages

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The Sisterhood

10/16/09

I was initiated into the Sisterhood today. The sisterhood of perhaps one of the most unpleasant first trimester symptoms: I threw up for the first time. I've been queasy for weeks. But today, very unexpectedly, I threw up in a trashcan at work. In the middle of the PACU (post anesthesia care unit where patients are prepped for surgery and recovered afterward).

I had just eaten my morning snack and I started to feel really nauseous. Since I hadn't thrown up yet, I thought it would pass. But I have a very poor track record of making it to the proper receptacle to vomit.

Twice when we were living in Houston I stood in the bathroom contemplating whether or not I was going to throw up only to begin hurling before I could even get the toilet seat open. I was in the bathroom and I still couldn't do it in time! I threw up on the toilet twice! I hope I've learned my lesson now. Both times my sweet, long-suffering husband cleaned up without even mentioning how stupid I was.

So, I decided to go stand by the trashcan. And sure enough, up came those dried apricots. There I was trying to be discreet, heaving into the trashcan. One of the OR nurses walked past and asked if I was okay. I said that I was fine, just pregnant. (I didn't want him to think I was throwing up because I had swine flu or something. ) To which he replied, "Oh, congratulations! I didn't know!", followed up with "I'm so glad I'm not a woman!"

So it appears that at the tail end of the first trimester the nausea got a little worse. One of my other pregnancy symptoms has improved, thankfully. For the past several weeks I've woken up in the wee hours of the morning feeling like I haven't urinated in weeks. This is due to the uterus low in my abdomen, encroaching upon my poor bladder. But the last few days I've gone all night without having to pee! In the second trimester, the uterus lifts slightly, giving the bladder a brief reprieve before its (the uterus's) tyrannical oppression of all organs during the third trimester. I'm looking forward to the next few months of peeing like a regular person. That should be fun!

2 comments:

Jim and Jill said...

For some reason, pregnancy turns relatively private women into a people full of freedom! So glad to hear all about your vomiting and urination!!!! :) Of course, you know I actually love it...I don't mind a bit!

Jim and Jill said...

Welcome, by the way! The sisterhood thing is just grand, isn't it? Gotta love it!!!! (My sickness/vomiting is always present in the second tri also...you're not alone).