Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Favorite Sweet Potatoes

You guys. You have to try these Maple-Cranberry Sweet Potatoes. I discovered them last fall in Good Housekeeping. This is my favorite sweet potato recipe. I've made them several times this year. Sweet potatoes are uber good for you! This has a lot of sugar because of the maple syrup. But it is not nearly as bad as a typical, marshmellow-topped sweet potato casserole (though I like those too). I think it's rather healthy but still delicious. In fact I can't stop thinking about this dish. Perhaps its a pregnancy thing? No, I don't think so. I frequently had visions of sweet potatoes dancing through my head even before I became pregnant. I love them! It seems that most of my posts recently have been food related- that will tell you what I've been up to! I love food. I just wish I had a robot maid who would do all the cleaning up afterward. :o)

  • 4 pound(s) sweet potatoes, peeled
  • Salt
  • 1 cup(s) pure maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cup(s) cranberries
  • 3 tablespoon(s) butter (no substitutions)

Directions

  1. In covered 6-quart saucepot, heat whole sweet potatoes with 1 teaspoon salt and enough water to cover to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or just until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
  2. Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, heat maple syrup to boiling on high. Reduce heat to medium, and boil gently 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in cranberries, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook just until cranberries pop, about 5 minutes longer.
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut cooled sweet potatoes crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices and arrange in shallow 3-quart ceramic or glass baking dish, overlapping slices if necessary.
  4. Spoon maple-cranberry syrup evenly over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes or until hot.
  5. To make Ginger-Almond Sweet Potatoes: Prepare sweet potatoes as above in step 1. In step 2, instead of maple-cranberry syrup, prepare ginger syrup: In 1-quart saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon margarine or butter on medium. Add 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger; cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in 1/2 cup apricot preserves, 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling, stirring. Complete recipe as in steps 3 and 4, spooning ginger syrup over potatoes and sprinkling with 1/2 cup toasted sliced natural (with brown skin still on) almonds before baking.

    Each serving: About 230 calories, 4 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated), 5 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium.

1 comment:

Erin said...

so glad you posted this - I tried to invent my own recipe to replicate yours and it was not as good... so going to make this soon!