Pages

Saturday, December 05, 2009

The Baby is Out of the Bag

9/20/09

Well, the jig is up at work. Everyone knows that I'm pregnant. Remember that nurse I mentioned last week who got it out of me? Well today I walked in. There were a group of four of my coworkers there. Someone asked me excitedly if I had any "news." News being a euphemism for "are you pregnant?" This is not unusual. They ask me this frequently.

I began my usual routines of denial and pussyfooting.

"I don't know. It's possible, but I don't think so"....ect. They already know that we're trying, which I was forced to admit early on when I was bombarded with the question "when are you going to have kids?"

I don't know exactly what was said but suddenly the nurse mentioned above asked me "Have you told your parents yet?"

I was stunned. I didn't know what to say or how to get out of it. It seemed futile to deny it anymore.

So I admitted it. I was slightly peeved that she let my secret out. But it was hard to be irritated for long because everyone was so excited. Of course, when I told them I hadn't planned to tell until I got out of the first trimester they all swore that they wouldn't say anything. Yet, somehow, mysteriously, by the end of the day everyone knew. I did not utter a word. But it got around.

As more people were informed, they all began to tell me that they knew already because I had been looking ill and tired. They also said I am a horrible liar.

I didn't intend for everyone at work to know first, but what could I do? Those ladies are ruthless when it comes to babies!

Also, as people found out, many of them said to Peter "good job!" We both thought this was funny. Really, let's be honest. Peter's part in all of this can hardly be considered "work." I rather think I should be receiving accolades for, you know, sustaining a new life! Let's give credit where credit is due, shall we?!? ;o)

1 comment:

Vanessa Rogers said...

GOOD JOB LESLIE!