Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Some things I can't do

Hello everyone! It's been a little while!

Next week is going to be "Baby Week" around here. Every week is Baby Week in my mind. And if you so desire you can join me in my pregnancy-soaked ramblings. Over the first trimester, before we were telling people that I'm pregnant, I wrote several things that I am going to try to post next week. It fits in with Thanksgiving because I couldn't be more thankful to have my little womb buddy with me all the time!

Anyways, I've been continuing to swim for exercise and I really enjoy it. (Change of subject, no segue. Poor writing! Sorry!) The hardest part is the mental anguish that occurs when considering getting into a cold swimming pool when it's in the 30's outside. Once I'm in it's not bad. But getting there requires much mental cajoling. Last weekend I was actually in the pool and it started snowing outside (the pool building has a wall of windows). Just seeing the snow made the water temperature seem to plummet. Following my workout, I had to leave the pool and wait for the train with wet hair in the snow. Which, again, wasn't that bad when I got there but was so painful to think about that I was attempting to wait out the snow. But the snow prevailed, lasting several hours. I just didn't have it in me to do that many laps.

Anyways, I've been trying to learn breaststroke. I'm wondering if perhaps it's one of those things that will forever elude me. Like finding my way around by cardinal directions. Or doing any math in my head (or on paper for that matter...).

I've just been working on the kick and I actually end up going backwards. Does that not somehow defy the laws of physics? I'm displacing water in a forward motion and yet I'm going the opposite way? If it does defy physics perhaps instead of failing I'm actually demonstrating some sort of magical skills.

This all goes against the theme of my "nothing is impossible!" marathon post. But I know there are things that are impossible for me, just not everything that I once believed to be impossible. I can't whistle, I can't roll the letter "r" and I just might have to add breaststroke to that list. But maybe not! I'll keep working!

2 comments:

Erin said...

You are so funny! I can't whistle or roll my r's either!

Robin and Don said...

Perhaps the breaststroke and the baby are connected. When you both master the breaststroke, your water will break. I feel bad that we didn't have you over while Peter was gone. I have had some health issues and thought you don't need my germs. We will have to get together soon though.