Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fall Favorites

Okay, for all you bakers out there, especially those of you who love seasonal food, here is a good recipe that has recently been inducted into my fall favorites category. It's a caramel apple cake.

I got it out of a recipe book that was compiled by Central Baptist Church, which is where Peter and I went to church in College Station (at Texas A&M). He gave me the cookbook as a present Christmas of 2004. We had very recently began dating again (after breaking up at the end of high school). It was our senior year of college and we got married about 8 months later.

Anyways, we had just started dating again and he gives me this cookbook. At first I'm like "what are you trying to say? Why don't you get in the kitchen and cook me something?!" I had never really cooked anything before in my life. But then I tried a few recipes and realized, "hey, I love this!" And thus began what will hopefully be a lifelong romance with the culinary arts.

We had some people over a couple of weeks ago and I made this cake for dessert. I also served some hot cranberry-apple cider. Pretty soon there were trees sprouting around us whose leaves were turning hues of orange, gold and red.

Okay, that didn't really happen. But if eating a fall themed desert could cause such a thing, I'm sure it would have. If anyone tries this, let me know how it turns out!

Here's the recipe:

Caramel Apple Cake

Ingredients
1.5 c vegetable oil
1.5 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
3 eggs
3 c all purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3.5 c diced apples (usually 3 lg or 4 med.)
1.5 c pecans
2 tsp vanilla flavoring

Combine oil and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine dry ingredients reserving 1/2 c of flour; then add the rest of dry mix to batter and stir well. Mix reserved 1/2 c flour with the apples and nuts. Fold in apples and nuts to batter and add vanilla. Pour into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1.5 hours or until cake tests done. Cool in pan for 15 minutes then remove onto wire rack to cool completely.

Caramel Apple Icing

1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c light cream
1/4 c butter
dash of salt
1 c powdered sugar
chopped pecans to garnish

In top of double broiler over simmering water, heat brown sugar, cream, butter and salt until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts.

No comments: