Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Baby's first addiction

You get a two for one today since I didn't post yesterday. I'm envisioning this "Baby Week" to be like shark week only with fewer teeth (and much less marketing). So, to realize my vision, I feel obliged to post a baby ramble every day. So since I didn't get around to it yesterday here you go!


9/1/09


One of the first tasks I undertook when I found out that I was pregnant was breaking baby’s first drug addiction. Caffeine. I somehow developed a small coffee habit. I think that happened sometime when I was working nights. I think baby had some fast times in utero those first few weeks before I knew that I was pregnant.


So for the first week I switched to decaf. Then I quit altogether. I also decided to give up my beloved diet cokes. Now that I’ve given up everything I enjoy drinking, that leaves me with only one food/drink related vice: salt. If I am eating a meal with you, you might just nonchalantly move the salt shaker away from my side of the table. But you must do this without me seeing you. If I see you taking my sodium, I’m likely to become furious and attack.


Anyways, I thought breaking my caffeine habit would be awful. I thought I would only be functioning at about a 3 on the Glasgow coma scale. For you non medical people that means comatose. But it was a lot easier than I thought. I actually didn’t even feel tired when I quit. I do feel exhausted now but I think that’s more related to the massive growth spurt that my little baby had last week. Apparently he doubled in size. Well done, little guy/gal!


1 comment:

Vanessa Rogers said...

Do they say that you should give up caffeine or is that just something you decided on for yourself?