Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

This post has made me hungry.

Thank you all for taking my "dilemma" so seriously! I appreciate your suggestions and it truly hadn't crossed my mind to try tea or chai. I'm not usually a big tea drinker but I do like tea. So, I will have to look into that! Thank you!

And if you didn't read all the comments, Robin left one where she mentioned the caramel apple spice from starbucks. I agree this is a must have for the fall/winter season. In fact on the last day of September, which was the first chilly, blustery day around here, Peter and I went to starbucks and indulged in one. It's not a coffee drink, its an apple cider. It is so Delectable with a capital D! So, for those of you in warm-weather climes, wait unitl a truly chilly day (which should probably happen sometime in January, right?) put on a cardigan and some warm fuzzy socks and go grab one of these in honor of the week-long Texas winter!

One of my very favorite websites is myrecipes.com. It has a collection of recipes from several different food magazines like Cooking Light and Southern Living and others. You can search their database and find a recipe for anything under the sun. I get 99.8% of my recipes from here. Specifically from Cooking Light. I tend to prefer the recipes from Cooking Light because I try to cook healthy meals. You can also create a file for yourself and save recipes that you like in various catagories so that they are really easy to find.

In addition to recipes, they have party menu suggestions, seasonal and holiday recipes, healthy living ideas, a how-to section (which I have consulted many a time to learn how to do everything from cutting carrots julienne-style to quartering a whole chicken.). So it's worth checking out if you're into food, like I am. But one feature that I really like is their Dish-of-the-Day Calendars. For the month of October the Calendar is Your Daily Soup. So every day they have a different soup recipe.

Last year in November they had a Cookie Countdown Calendar which I would read through while salivating until I was sitting in a puddle of my own drool. December's Calendar last year was Show Stopping Cakes. Which was pretty much the same story with the salivation. But I made a few of the cookie recipes and at least two of the cake recipes. One of the cakes was this one. Which was delicious but richer than Bill Gates. I will have to write a separate post about that because it was a doozy to make and had a story behind it. I also made this cake which was fun.

Mine might not look Martha Stewart worthy like the one on the website, but it tasted good. And it has a festive holiday feel. And it's not hard. Bonus!

Anways, part of the fun is the anticipation of seeing what tomorrow's recipe will be. And part of it is just having a variety of delicious seasonal recipes to look through and try, it gets me in the mood for seasonal cooking. As it gets cooler around here it will be perfect soup weather so I'm hoping to try a few of those. I love seasonal cooking. Especially baking. I'll hopefully be posting a few recipes that have made it into my "Fall Favorites" category in the next few months.

Anyways, happy cooking and eating to you all!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love myrecipes! I use them all the time as well. I love that you can type in any ingredient, especially unfamiliar ones (like eggplant or something), and it spits out tons of great recipes to use. I looked at the Daily Soup calendar thing, and I'm going to have to try the Lentil and Chard soup for lunch today. Yummy!

Love the new blog design, btw!