Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Theodore and Penelope are getting a sibling

Penelope and Theodore are going to have a little sister or brother!


And their new sibling is not a kitty. I’m pregnant!


So, we sat down with them and explained to them that being older siblings carries significant responsibility.


“Theodore and Penelope”, I said, “I’m expecting you to teach this baby some of the most important lessons he/she will learn.”


I elaborated, “You’ll need to make sure the baby understands the necessity of always going to the bathroom in the proper receptacle.



Meticulous cleanliness


The importance of waiting patiently for his/her food



Finally and most importantly, the art of taking long, looooooooong naps



“Number 4 is the most pressing issue. If you fail at that, you’ve failed at all.”


“You’ll also be expected to do a fair amount of pro bono babysitting. That shouldn’t be too taxing because if you succeed in teaching the baby those four important life lessons, s/he will be the best baby in the entire world.”


They seemed to take the news with their characteristic nonchalance. But deep inside, I know they were at least as excited as they are when we fill their food bowls.


So, I’m due in late April, early May-ish! We do not plan to find out the sex of the baby until his/her birthday. We were waiting to tell everyone about the pregnancy until I got out of the first trimester. Which is right about now. I'm 12.5 weeks. Peter and I have been keeping this a secret from everyone for 2 months! You cannot imagine how many times I almost blurted it out to strangers just so that I wouldn’t erupt. Anyways in the next few weeks, I’m going to be posting some things that I’ve written so far about my experience. And, of course I’ll keep you updated on things from here on out!

6 comments:

Daniele said...

Congrats! We are very happy for the both of you. I kinda thought something was up when you were posting about sleeping something like 15 hours @ one time! :P
I don't know how you kept it quiet so long...w/ our first we waited 2 whole days before telling EVERYONE who would listen. This time I forced Jacob to wait 1 week and he was driving me nuts during that week because he was so excited he wanted to tell everyone! Congrats Again!! :)

Peter and Leslie said...

Thanks Daniele!

It was difficult to keep it a secret. But it was also kind of fun to have something that just the two of us knew. :o)

Anyways, it will be fun to see which baby comes first! :o)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Peter, Leslie! Actually, your grandmother is faster than the internet at spreading the news since she called me with this information even before I was able to read it on your blog! Best wishes, boy or girl, everybody knows springtime babies are the best! Don

Rachel said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you both! I hope you are feeling well. This might sound silly (you should expect it from me), but it isn't too early to start thinking about the birth and preparing for it. I'd be happy to recommend some books, if you are at all interested.

Jim and Jill said...

Can't wait to watch that baby belly growing in pictures! I trust you'll be posting those, and if not, then you'll email me with them. Love you ALL!!!

Beth said...

Congrats! I'm so excited for you guys! I'm sure Theodore and Penelope will make wonderful elder siblings. I can't wait to here more about how the pregnancy is going. Keep us posted!