Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Providence

When I was looking through our pictures last week to find one of the Candy Cane Cake I made, I happened upon a few others that made me remember an incident that occurred last year that I want to write about.

Peter and I were driving home from a holiday get together in San Antonio at his aunt and uncle's house last November. We were driving down the highway when suddenly I saw something careening towards the windshield. Before I even registered what was happening, the object flew through the glass, I screamed and ducked. It all happened so quickly. The time between seeing something coming towards us and when it shattered the glass was seconds or less.

Peter pulled off of the highway at our exit and we began to assess the damage. Thank God we were both okay. There was a hole in the windshield on my side of the car (passenger side). And there was glass all over me. It was in my eyes, my hair, down my clothes. But thankfully, I only had a few extremely minor scratches on my hands, I think.

Anyways, after realizing that we were both okay it quickly occurred to me that I could have easily been killed or maimed beyond recognition. It was a softball sized rock that came through the windshield and landed on the floor in the back of the car. I don't know if it went over the back of my seat, or between our seats. But either way, it was inches away from my head. Since we were on the highway, going probably at least 60 miles per hour, I have no doubt that if it had hit me, my head would have been crushed. And even if it hadn't hit my head, I'm sure it could have done some serious damage to my ribs and lungs or to wherever it might have landed.


Here, Peter has patched the hole but you can see the glass all over the seat. Though the picture doesn't really do it justice, the glass is probably too fine to see.

This incident reminded me of a story out of the book The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. This book is a must read. It is the true story of Corrie and her family and their experience during the holocaust in Denmark. Anyways, I believe it was on the night when Germany invaded Denmark that Corrie and her sister Betsy had gone to bed but couldn't sleep so they got up and were sitting at their kitchen table listening to the radio. Later that night Corrie went back up to her bed room and found a metal pipe that had come through her window and landed right on her pillow. She went to tell Betsy asking the completely pertinent question "what if I had been there?" Betsy replied, "there are no what-ifs with God."

After this incident, I jokingly referred to it as my brush with death. But seriously, I found it very comforting to dwell on the fact that there are no what-ifs with God. The Bible tells us that bad things will happen to us, trials will come. That's life, which most people, even the non-religious, will probably readily admit. But for Christians, we are never victims of some random statistical chance, or freak accident. There is a greater plan. We might not always understand it or even like it but there is comfort in knowing that God does understand and for those that love Him, all things work together for good (Romans 8:28).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing that wonderful post. I love comforting, reassuring reminders of God's love. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and will re-read it often.
Anna

Rachel said...

What an amazing story! I love the Hiding Place and I read about every year since I learn so much from it. Thank you for sharing your story.