Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Bump!

Oh, you guys. Today I glanced at myself in the mirror before I got into the shower and I was like, "Yowza! That wasn't there before!" I've been scrutinizing my abdomen for the past few weeks trying to discern the first sings of a baby bump. Unitil today I've waffled back and forth from I have a bump (albeit a tiny one) to no, no bump yet. But it's official. Today, it was definitely popping out there. I tried to suck it back in and it wouldn't go. I have a bump.

This caused me to have semi-panic moment in which I realized, oh my gosh, this is really happening. THIS IS REAL! Then my thoughts fled, leaving my brain in stunned silence while a deer-in-the-headlights expression settled on my face. But then I snapped out of that and there was a flurry of exiting feelings. This is all so special and amazing and weird at the same time. There is a person in my abdomen. A person in my abdomen! Doesn't that sound like something out of an alien movie?

In this flurry of realization, I also had a moment of mourning for the departing of my prepregnancy shape. I don't know that I'll ever see her again. But that's okay. It was nice knowing her, but there are bigger (ha! no pun intended) and better things to come.

It seems substantial to me but the bump can't be that big because I'm still wearing all my normal clothes. I haven't even had to transition to my "big jeans" (I have big jeans and small jeans. Ladies, you know how that goes). Though I will admit I haven't washed my small jeans in many moons. When they're nice and stretched out, they fit great. But just out of the dryer? Let's just say getting those suckers on is a routine fit for a circus. The freak show part of a circus.

Well, here it is, bump at 14.5 weeks: (Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I had just eaten pie. So part of the bump in this picture might be meringue.)

2 comments:

Jim and Jill said...

Well, you are certainly right that that bump is not very big! But how exciting to see yourself growing! And yes, it is truly shocking and amazing that there is a person growing in your belly! In fact, you'll never get over it. You'll think that through the whole pregnancy and any pregnancies to come. Only God can make something like that happen!!!!

Erin said...

Leslie - that is HARDLY a bump! At the end you will look back and think "wow, I thought that was a bump - look where I am now!" But very cute - and I bet you will see your pre-preggers body again; not exactly the same but close enough... hope you are feeling great!