Pages

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Wildflower Days

To see the Summer Sky
Is Poetry, though never in a Book it lie -
True Poems flee.
~Emily Dickinson

It has been lovely to enjoy the wildflowers these past few months. I just love the nuances of each season. (So far. I might not enjoy the nuance of scraping ice off of my windshield in January but I'm sure there will be something to love about winter. For example, an excuse to consume metric tons of hot chocolate.) Wildflowers are a gift of summer here; a vibrant wreath on summer's plentiful head. The Texas wildflower season seems to pass so quickly. Or perhaps it just seems that way because in Houston I spent a lot less time hiking. However, this past weekend on our trip to the Tetons the flowers weren't very abundant. There were a few stragglers but I believe their time is almost over. Like Emily Dickinson said, true poems flee. Soon all of their vibrant color will be migrating to the leaves. Autumn! Here are some pictures we've taken this season:

Three shots of Sego Lily in Bryce Canyon. I love the progression in the shape.


I believe these are Indian Paintbrushes. These are my favorite. They come in so many shades.

Columbines. I love these as well. They almost look like something out of star trek with those spines on the back. But they are so elegant and bold. (I'm not even sure that's the right combination of words, I can't really describe them. But they have such a delicate gravity (is that an oxymoron?!?) about them.)

Splashes of color in the desert at Zion National Park.

Would you look at this?! Isn't this a zany little flower? It's a Columbia Monkshood.

These all remind me of this verse:

"And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" Matt 6:27-30

No comments: