Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Eye balls, applications and snow

I know that Leslie mentions me here on the blog every once in a while (actually pretty regularly), so you probably are aware that I'm still alive. It is just a little rare that I get the motivation like Leslie to sit down and write a blog post.

Maybe a short update would be good. I'm finishing up applying for ophthalmology residency for the second year running. I try not to think too much about the fact that I've done this once or how much money it costs. Currently, we're at the stage where residency programs are sending me emails acknowledging receipt of my application. No interview invitations have come yet, but it is a little early for that. The interview season starts around Oct 8 and finishes right before Christmas.

It is kind of funny that one of my first and only posts on this blog has been that disgusting video where I dissect that cadaver eye, and now that is what I do multiple days a week at work. Don't worry, I don't have any more videos.

I've been enjoying work. Once a week, I take medical histories for patients coming in for surgery. Some people in my position dislike that part of the job, but I think it's kind of fun meeting the different people and talking to them a little. The best part is when they ask about their surgery. Assuming I am familiar with that particular surgery, it is really enjoyable to teach people about the eyes and what the surgery entails.

I believe that God has been confirming to me that I ought to be an ophthalmologist, although I think I could be content in a number of specialties. This makes the upcoming interview season that much more exciting. Please pray that God's will would be done - whether that means I become an eye surgeon or not. I have no doubt that our Heavenly Father's plan is better than anything I could imagine.

FINAL NOTE: COME VISIT US!!!
Leslie and I want to remind everyone that our door is open and our guest bed is comfortable! We would love to have visitors at any time. It is a joy to host family and friends, or strangers for that matter. The ski season is approaching and the saying here is that it's the "best snow on earth".

No comments: