Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday Ramblings

Peter and I got up at 4:30 this morning on purpose. Why would we do that on a Saturday morning? Is it because we've finally cracked under the pressure of our hectic lives (you know, all the camping and hiking takes its toll on a person!) and now I'm writing this entry from the county psych ward? No. Though that would probably make for a more interesting post. We were just trying to go to the Ogden Hot Air Balloon and Arts Festival. The website makes it clear that if you want to watch the balloons take off you must arrive on the wrong side of dawn. So we arose at 4:30 AM to drive 1.5 hours to Ogden. It rained the entire drive. This didn't bode well, we knew, but sometimes storms pass through really quickly so we thought there was still a chance that the balloons would take off as planned. Sadly, it was not to be. We arrived at about 6 AM, slept in the car for 1.5 hours while waiting to see if the rain would depart. When it didn't clear up, we left. But on the way back we ate breakfast at this local diner. I had a cinnamon roll the size of my head. It was all kinds of delicious! But I think I shaved about 10 minutes off of my life expectancy with all the butter that was on that thing. But it was worth it! Cinnamon heart attack goodness!

On the way back we went to the Salt Lake Farmers' Market like we do every Saturday morning. Texas is well known for its peaches. Georgia has famous peaches. Growing up I never heard anything about legendary Utah peaches. But they exist. This must be a well kept secret so that Utah people don't have to share. The peaches here are so mouthwateringly sweet, succulent and huge. I even have to say that they surpass the Texas Peaches that I used to buy at the Houston farmers' market (but the ones in Houston are still delicious).

Meanwhile, Theadore wants you to know that something is missing in his life.


He's so funny. I'm used to cats meowing desperately when they're hungry. Theadore doesn't really do that he just maintains a silent vigil near his food bowl.

Here he has taken matters into his own hands and is attempting to extract food through osmosis. Just kidding. We fed him. And he just jumped up on the fridge to oversee the goings on in his domain.

3 comments:

Terry said...

I love your stories about your kitties. And that picture with the food bowls is so cute.... Keep those stories coming.

And I did want to thank you for leaving your comments on our blog. We all got quite a chuckle out of them. Your mom thought we should quit talking so much about her but we just couldn't. She is just a real "blog star"..Thanks again.

Beth said...

I'm glad you have Utah peaches! I absolutely love them here in Alabama. There so much better than the ones in Houston. They sound like what you describe--huge and sweet. And, peach season here is much longer. We still are getting peaches every week at the farmers market. I remember in Houston we only had them for what, 6 weeks?

I love the kitty stories too! Keep them coming!

johnrgriffin said...

"Cinnamon heart attack goodness!" Now that's my kinda breakfast!