Pages

Monday, August 03, 2009

More Books!

This is the other book I've read recently that I thought was fantastic. I picked this book up because it was about $1.00 at half-priced books and because it was a classic. I imagined that it would be incredibly dull. With a title like Crime and Punishment I pictured some long, tedious commentary on the inner workings of the Russian legal system. Despite these expectations, I started the book and was very pleased to have been totally mistaken.

This novel is a gripping psychological drama almost from the beginning. So, if you're just interested in a juicy crime drama you would probably like it. Beyond that, if you like to ponder deeper themes, there is plenty of food for thought. This book provides, like, an entire all you can eat buffet for your brain. I read it in May and I'm still thinking about it. It covers a wide range of themes like poverty, personal conscience, sin and redemption as well as the broader themes of Russian philosophies against their historical backdrop.

Wow, I really wish that I was in school and could write a paper on this book. Why did I not become an English teacher? Why?

This book is not light hearted. It's rather dark and disturbing at times but there is a glimmer of hope. The tone of the book personally resonated with me because I feel that the somber portrayal of human nature and the human condition is accurate. But also accurate is the opportunity for rebirth and redemption which is portrayed at the end of the novel. I won't go into more detail or I might spoil the ending for you!



I have one more suggestion but this one is kind of a long shot. It's the Lord of the Rings trilogy on tape performed by Rob Inglis. Peter and I were able to listen to this one because we had to drive from Texas to Utah twice in the month of May. But we actually just finished it on our way to Yellowstone last week. It is very long. But the narrator is fantastic. He does all the voices including female voices and he sings! Each character is totally recognizable. The subtle nuances in this man's voice will blow your mind. He is very talented. These are excellent books, so I recommend them for reading or listening. It is quite an undertaking to get through all three but it can be done and it is well worth it.

"Remember what Bilbo used to say: It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to... "

- Frodo to Sam
J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments: